Thursday 19 June 2008

When Bigger Is Not Always Better

A week from now, Glastonbury Festival will be in full swing. It will no longer be possible for me to make a quick trip from the farm to the post office, because the normally-quiet country lanes will resemble London traffic in gridlock. Not that I'm complaining. I've been enjoying Glastonbury for 15 years and since I moved here from London, I only have to walk over the fields to get to the festival. What's not to like?

Well, quite a lot, actually. It's not the mud I have a problem with, it's the sensation of standing squashed on a London tube platform in rush hour when I'm in a field in Somerset.  Every year, Michael Eavis and his daughter Emily vow to create an even bigger and better festival for the thousands who enjoy a cosmic holiday camp experience on their farm. But has Glastonbury become a victim of its own success? Does better have to equal bigger? 

People are saying that the reason the tickets haven't sold out is is due to a disappointing line-up and the threat of bad weather. I disagree. There is plenty to entice on this year's bill.  But has the hassle of registration, the volume of the crowds and the increasing corporate presence become a real deterrent?  Not to mention the fact that there are a gazillion smaller festivals all over the UK every weekend of the summer?

Would Glastonbury work better by cutting back on capacity? Could the festival be extended to four days of performance over fewer stages? (Let's face it - there's no way you can see every act you fancy unless you know how to clone yourself.) Would people be prepared to pay more for the privilege of avoiding the scrum? Or have I just become too middle-aged and middle-class? Perhaps, but perhaps not: many 20somethings I know are asking the same questions.

As Glastonbury takes its place as part of the official summer calendar, inevitably it becomes more mainstream. That doesn't mean to say it has lost its cool. Nothing stands still, and perhaps now is the time for Michael and Emily to re-evaluate what makes their festival work. Hundreds of charities, local and worldwide, benefit from the Eavis's vision and generosity, to say nothing of the hundreds of thousands of people who have had the times of their lives over the years. I think Michael Eavis is brilliant. I would hate to see the festival lose its sparkle.

3 comments:

Nick Griffiths said...

Amy Winehouse, Shakin' fuckin' Stevens, The Feeling, James Blunt, even Gilbert O'Sodding Sullivan are playing. Jay-Z's the least of everyone's bastard worries. While I agree with your comments, I'd suggest the line-up takes post-modernism and shoves it up innocent ickle festival-goers' bum cracks, with nary an apology. James Cunting Blunt. At Glastonbury. And his crowd will be heaving, mark my words. Everything changes. (Speaking of which, any chance of Take That? ... I was being SARCASTIC, you cockbag!)

Daniela Soave said...

Yes, anyone could pick out dross. You've certainly illustrated its presence. But there are loads of bands that will entertain - what about Hot Chip, Biffy Clyro, British Sea Power, Sons & Daughters, Massive Attack, Candi Staton, Jimmy Cliff, Buddy Guy, Brian Jamestown Massacre, The Langley Sisters, The Charles Hazlewood Allstars, Steve Hillage's Mirror System, Unkle, My Morning Jacket, Dizzee Rascal, Manu Chao, Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly, Eddie Grant, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Edwyn Collins, John Cale? Just for starters? It's not all bad, don't you think?

Nick Griffiths said...

No. I do think. Steve Hillage! I thought he went crazy back in 71. My Morning Snore. Get Cape. I did! Wear Cape. Obviously, if I'd got it. Fly? You're off your fucking tits, mate! It's just a cape! I'm not Super-cocking-man! (I rest my case.)